If I was arrested for a large possession and not charged yet, what could happen to me if I just left the state? 2 Answers as of June 14, 2011

I was stopped and detained with just under 9oz's in my car. They then searched my house and found 5 more oz's, but did not charge me. Can a warrant or anything along those lines be brought against me if I just left the state?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre
Law Office of Jonathan T. Sarre | Jonathan T. Sarre
You would likely be indicted by a grand jury on charges of possession of a controlled substance as well as delivery (and maybe but also probable if you're talking about pot which I think you are, manufacturing) of a controlled substance. After indictment, the judge will sign a warrant for you arrest. The warrant will either be statewide, nationwide or what is called "shuttle statewide." Shuttle states are essentially but not entirely states which border Oregon (Washington, California, Idaho and I think Nevada -although it doesn't border Oregon, maybe Montana too). These states have an agreement where they routinely return extradited people to the state that wants them. As long as the warrant is something more than simply statewide, if you are arrested outside Oregon, you may be detained and if Oregon decides it wants you back (which it doesn't always), the extradition process will begin. You can either waive or contest extradition, or sometimes you can post bail if you agree to return to Oregon to court. If you waive extradition, you get credit for the time you spent in custody in the other state. If you fight extradition, you don't get credit for time until you hit Oregon. I find that it is a good idea to retain a lawyer in Oregon to help negotiate your successful return to this state on your own power (versus in the jail bus).
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 6/14/2011
Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC
Law Office of Rankin Johnson IV, LLC | Rankin Johnson IV
A warrant can be issued for your arrest. If you weren't arrested, and didn't have to sign a release agreement, then it's not a crime for you to travel wherever you want. If a jury thinks you were fleeing prosecution, they can hold it against you. But if the state doesn't find you and bring you to trial in a reasonable time, the charged might be dismissed on speedy-trial grounds.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 6/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: