If I think I am being stalked, what could I do to protect myself and my kids? 6 Answers as of August 12, 2015

I have a stalking issue, I don't know what to do......I have found two "bugging devices in my home so far, my mail is being tampered with, and prank calls on my phone, even banging on the walls only when I try an go to sleep. some nights I work late cars following me home I have also experienced leaving my apartment and returning home to find things misplaced and article of clothing in which I have NEVER seen before.....just two days ago, I found out that there has been and still is an active electronic surveillance unit being used in my apartment building. I have tried over and over again to find out the origin of the bugging device, I just do not know where to start. I think back because I did have to have a restraining order filed against my then ex, this was a very horrible experience because I have children, He works in law enforcement so the very ones who were supposed to protect me ...didn't. Now I find myself stressed and about to relocate yet again.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
Call your divorce lawyer and talk to him or her about it and your options. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 8/12/2015
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
It's pretty obvious that you need to make a police report if someone broke into your house - that is the only way that bugs or clothing would be present. You can also get a phone trap placed on your telephone to identify prank callers. If you fail to memorialize these events through the police, there is nothing that anyone can do.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 8/12/2015
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
Maybe you should do some surveillance of your own, setting up motion-activated cameras, etc.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/12/2015
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Make a police report. Entering your home without permission is a crime.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/11/2015
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
I think that you should file reports with your local police department and possibly the FBI. Don?t accuse anyone, but have them fingerprint everything.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/11/2015
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    You can still notify law enforcement, and I still think you should do so. The fact of your ex being a cop should not make a difference to them, but if he working in your local area, you can tell the intake people at the police department that he is your ex and you would prefer he not be involved in your case. You might also hire a private investigator. While some of them are dubious, there are respected firms who can investigate the problem.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 8/11/2015
Click to View More Answers: