If I tell this person I'm leaving and she smacks me, can I smack her back? 8 Answers as of December 17, 2013

I'm 19. After the fact, I already said I was leaving and won't come back. My aunt smacked me and I smacked her back. Her brother (my father) drove on the sidewalk and hit me with a truck and decided to get out and fight me. I don't think I'm in the wrong but I would like to know what legal trouble could I get in.

Your father could be charged with a felony for hitting you with a car.
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
Retaliation is not the same as "self-defense". If you reasonably believe that you need to use force to protect yourself, the force is justified. Striking your aunt, if not justified as self-defense, is an assault and could be charged as such.
You could be charged with Assault 4 DV, however, this is a charge that should be placed upon your aunt and father. You have a right to protect yourself.
Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
All three of you committed crimes (yes, smacking someone back is a crime).
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
If someone slaps you, punches you, or hits you and does not hurt you then you either run away, talk it out, call the police, or threaten to have them arrested, but you do not retaliate because that makes you a violent idiot like they are and you could either, injure them, escalate the fight, get arrested, or have them later lie about it to the police. You can defend yourself but not from a minor incident where you were not really in any danger of being injured. You should use good judgment and that is rare for young people as they are impulsive, uneducated, unsophisticated, and lack any sense of how to properly manipulate people. Once you understand how to use words you will not need to get violent, you will be able to control people with your language and manipulations. You seem very rash just from your attitude and language, get a good education, a good job, and be a gentleman. Do not commit crimes or you will get a record and ruin your life. Do not hit women, even if they hit you first. You saw the trouble you got into since your father is just as violent, rash, and unsophisticated as you and your aunt. Perhaps the whole family should go to anger management.
    Not your girlfriend, but your aunt. A prosecutor, judge and jury are probably not going for you smacking an adult female relative.
    That is a battery. You cannot hit someone because they hit you. It is not self defense once the aggression is over that's retaliation and is not a permissible defer to assault or battery under the law.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq. | Stephanie Lee Ehrbright
    It sounds like mutual combat if she hit you first then you had the right to hit her back. Unless she is disabled or something. Your father did not have the right to hit you with his truck though, that's a felony.