If I stole for the first time, what type of punishment will I get? 12 Answers as of April 16, 2013

I am 18 years old and I stole from a retail store. This is my very first time to ever do this. I have nothing else on my record. I would just like to know in your opinion what type of charge did I get? Misdemeanor, felony, or an infraction? Please help me.

Law Office of John G. Galasso | John George Galasso
Depends on the value of the item can either be a misdemeanor or felony ask about doing a diversion program thru the prosecutor's office.
Shop lift is generally a gross misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail and a $5,000.00 fine. For a first offense it is doubtful you would get jail time. Probably a suspended sentence with probation. HOWEVER, you want to try and avoid a conviction on your record as it could seriously impact you ability to get a job or retain a job, since you are required to disclose criminal convictions. If you are planning to go to college, criminal convictions could disqualify you from acceptance and from receiving educational loans. My advice, get an attorney to help you.
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
If found guilty, even a first-time offender might be sentenced to serve the maximum penalty. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence.
Depends on what you stole.
Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
It will depend on the value of the items stolen.
    Depending on the amount allegedly stolen and the jurisdiction where the event occurred, shoplifting or petite theft can be met with a mere citation (infraction), or charged as a misdemeanor or even a felony, with possible jail sentences of 6 months to 3 years. It will be up to the D.A. to determine how the crime will be charged.
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
    Hammerschmidt Broughton Law | Mark A. Broughton
    In most instances it will be a petty theft, a misdemeanor, unless the value of the items was more than $950 in which case it could be filed as grand theft, a felony.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    This depends on what you stole and its value. Most likely you face misdemeanor charges or violations but no felony. This can result in a criminal record that will follow you for life. You should retain criminal defense counsel to attempt to get the charges reduced or dismissed. You are more likely to get a good result if you retain counsel.
    Unknown. Hire counsel or ask court for one. Record might get a better resolution at a prertrial hearing than at first appearance.
    Depending on the amount, most probably a misdemeanor. You should immediately engage an attorney, and speak to no one about the incident until you recieve counsel. This is very serious and can affect your future, you should be seeking through the attorney some form of diversionary program so that this does not appear on your permanent record and follow you for the rest of your life.
    Petty theft, a misdemeanor, is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your college and career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea that will guarantee you work at Burger King for the rest of your life.
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    You may be eligible for First Offender Treatment, if convicted. This would allow you to avoid a record if you complete the terms of your probation.