If I start working, will my alimony go away? 3 Answers as of February 10, 2017

I have no job right now. I have the opportunity to move to another state where will easy to me find a job and descent place to live, with my son but my ex it's threatens me, with stop playing the alimony. He said that he will go to court.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Family Legal Ease
Family Legal Ease | Rivka Israel, Esq.
The question is difficult to answer in this context. Depending on the order, spousal support is based on both parties incomes. If the court has not imputed income on you, support was based on your income as $0, and you get a job earning income, the court could reduce your spousal support. Unless the support order states that it is non-modifiable (which is seldom done these days) the issue of support is always before the court and can be brought before the court at any time. Moving out of state with your child is another issue that is complex to address. This should be addressed with an attorney. Unless the court has already given you the right to move your son out of state or the child's father has given his consent, you may not be allowed to move your child out of state regardless. It can be considered kidnapping or interference with father's custody time. This may be grounds for the court to change the custody to Father. It depends on the circumstances. You should consult with an attorney regarding this issue.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/10/2017
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
If you get a job, that income will be considered by the court to possibly change the amount of spousal support you are now getting. Talk to an attorney in your area as to how much the spousal support will reduce if you take the out of state job. Then you can make an informed decision.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/9/2017
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
Just because you begin working doesn't immediately create a condition to terminate your right of support. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to review your circumstance and to determine what support could be changed to if you returned to work.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/9/2017
Click to View More Answers: