If I slipped in a parking lot 6 months ago due to which I had surgery and lost my job can I sue the apartment now? 34 Answers as of July 21, 2014

I fell down in the parking lot of my apartment around 6 months ago. I had injury due to that and I had one surgery. I lost my job as recovery took 3-4 months. Can I sue the apartment now or is it too late?

Law Office of Alexis Plunkett
Law Office of Alexis Plunkett | Alexis Plunkett
The statute of limitations in Nevada for personal injury is two yearsso it is not too late and you have until two years after the date of the slip and fall to file a complaint.
Trendowski & Allen, PC
Trendowski & Allen, PC | Gregory Allen
In general, you have two years to file a personal injury law suit in Connecticut.
End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
It is not too late. The statute of limitations for injury cases in Wisconsin is three years from the date of the injury.
Domnitz & Skemp, SC
Domnitz & Skemp, SC | Merrick Domnitz
If this slip and fall occurred at a privately owned (that is, a non-government owned or subsidized) apartment complex, you have three (3) years in which to bring a claim for your injuries.
Yes if they were negligent.
    Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
    Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
    You have 3 years from the date of the injury to file a personal injury lawsuit in Michigan. You should look into hiring an experienced personal injury attorney, often working on a contingency basis which means you pay little upfront, to help you with the complexities of a personal injury lawsuit.
    Wm. Keith Dozier, LLC | Keith Dozier
    The statute of limitations (time allowed for filing a lawsuit) in Oregon for personal injury claims is generally two years. However, under the Oregon Tort Claims Act, if the apartment is owned or operated by a public entity (like a government agency owning or operating a public housing project) you have to give notice of your claim within 180 days or you cannot file a lawsuit. Last, there are certain provisions of the Oregon Landlord-Tenant Act that may provide for attorney fees provisions. However, that act has notice provisions as well. Given all of these issues you should contact a personal injury lawyer ASAP to see if anything needs to be done immediately to preserve your claim(s). Good luck.
    Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
    Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
    The statute of limitations is 2 years on a personal injury case. You can file a claim.
    Not too late; two year statute of limitation. But can you prove negligence? Can you rebut comparative negligence?
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You have 2 years to sue.
    Under Michigan law, you will probably lose your case because our wonderful appellate courts, the finest that money can buy, have determined that as long as a parking lot is satisfactory as a parking lot, then it fits its intended use and so whether or not it is icy, there is no liability. If, however, the ice formed where it did because of some defect caused by, or under the control of the apartment complex, a competent lawyer MAY be able to put a case together that avoids the impact of the current case law. Good luck. As we speak, I have 2 such cases pending in the appellate court system.
    Maria Zarakhovich | Maria Zarakhovich
    It is not too late for you to sue the apartments. The issue is that you must show that you fell down because of the negligence of the apartment complex
    See an attorney with the details and for a firm answer. You have a POTENTIAL cause of action.
    EDWARD M. MILLER, PC
    EDWARD M. MILLER, PC | EDWARD M. MILLER
    The timing is no problem. The statute of limitations for injury suits is 3 years. If the defect that caused the fall was "open and obvious," that defense would be available to the property owner, unless there was no safe route for you to travel.
    LAW OFFICE OF DAVID A. KUBAT
    LAW OFFICE OF DAVID A. KUBAT | DAVID A. KUBAT
    It's not too late to sue, but whether or not you will be successful depends on the facts. Why did you fall? What exactly happened?
    Boesen Law, LLC
    Boesen Law, LLC | Joseph J. Fraser III
    The Colorado statute of limitations for negligence is 2 years, so you have time to bring a suit. The challenge will be proving liability for a condition that caused your slip and injury.
    You have 3 yrs within which to sue. The question is why did you fall? were you looking where you were going? is there a defect involved?have you made photos of the defect if there is one? Like to see photos and then I can tell you what to do next.
    Law Office of Marc June
    Law Office of Marc June | Marc June
    In Alaska, the statute of limitations is 2 years which means you can file a suit up until the second anniversary of your accident. My recommendation is that you organize the facts as to why you think the condition of the parking lot causing your fall was unreasonably dangerous and consult a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Alaska
    TAMBASCO & ASSOCIATES, P.C. Attorneys at Law | R. Tambasco
    One has 2 years from the date of the occurrence or in which to file an action for recovery. However, the reasons, cause for the fall should be explored first regarding the issue of liability before doing so. That may have a significant impact on your ability to receive a settlement or award.
    Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
    In Nevada, you have two years from the date of the accident to file suit. Each state has its own statute of limitations (deadline), so check carefully. You can make a claim against the apartment management and ownership, and their insurance company, now. You will need to convince them that they were negligent (careless) somehow in maintaining the parking lot.
    You have 2 years to sue, but the real question is whether the complex was at fault. Just because you get hurt on someone's property, doesn't necessarily make them liable. You have to prove they were at fault. You may want to consult an experienced personal injury lawyer familiar with premises liability law.
    Shalvoy Law, LLC | Walter A. Shalvoy Jr.
    You have 2 years from the date of the accident to bring a personal injury lawsuit.
    Leighton Law, P.A.
    Leighton Law, P.A. | John Elliott Leighton
    Yes you can. If there was something wrong with the surface that caused you to fall you may have a case. Under Florida law you must be able to prove that the owner or operator of a property either caused the fall or had some sort of notice that the condition was defective for a long enough time to make it reasonable for them to take action. The notice doesn't mean they had to have actual knowledge of it but that something was on the ground long enough to require them to act. Since you didn't say what caused you to slip it's hard to say how strong your case is. You should contact an experienced trial lawyer who can give you some advice.
    While it is not to late to file a claim, if you had not informed the apartment management of the accident you will have a harder time prevailing. Also, just because you fell, it does not prove that the apartment management is negligent.
    In California, you have two years to file such a suit. The insurance company for the apartment house will, because of the time delay, probably not believe you. Go to a personal injury attorney and see if they will accept the case; their fee would be 33% of the recovery, but the defendant will likely not offer you anything if you represent yourself. You also have to prove that the owner of the apartment was negligent; merely because you fell does not make them responsible.
    Law Office of Jacqueline K. Schroering | Jacqueline K. Schroering
    In Kentucky the statute of limitations on this type of claim is 1 year from the date of the slip. You should immediately go to see an attorney. There should be no charge to discuss this potential claim.
    Answer Applies to: Kentucky
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
    You can ABSOLUTELY sue now. There are currently very tough laws on slip-and-falls. Your matter needs to be detailed very carefully, and framed in a way that will allow pursuit. Failure to do this at the outset may cause the matter to be unpursuable. Starting with a detailed conversation will get this matter going in the right direction for you.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
    Yes. You have three years but still have to prove why the apartment building is responsible.
    In NY, the Statute of limitations is 3 years unless the parking lot is owned by a public authority, such as a housing authority in which case you may have some problems. Although you are probably within a statute of limitations time frame, the delay might hinder investigation and gathering evidence. Find an experienced personal injury lawyer in your area.
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    You do not mention one of the most important factors in determining whether your claim has any chance of success even assuming there is no statute of limitations issue. WHAT CAUSED THE FALL? Simply falling does not automatically create liability.
    Chalat Hatten Koupal & Banker PC
    Chalat Hatten Koupal & Banker PC | Linda Chalat
    It is not too late, in Colorado you have two years from the date of the accident in which to file a premises liability case.
    Law Offices of Tanya Gendelman, P.C.
    Law Offices of Tanya Gendelman, P.C. | Tanya Gendelman, Esq.
    Not to late to sue but there is a question of liability. Contact a personal injury lawyer.
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC | Bruce A. Curry
    In Ohio, you would have two years from the date of the incident to sue. Assuming fault, you may have a substantial case.
    In Florida, the statute of limitations for premises liability is 4 years, so you still have the time to bring a claim.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney