If I signed over parental rights to my children in August 2012 and state says I still owe child support, what can I do about this? 8 Answers as of May 10, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Brent R. Chipman
Law Office of Brent R. Chipman | Brent R. Chipman
If your parental rights have been terminated, you should have no obligation to pay child support. If you only delegated your rights, or if no order has been entered to modify the original order imposing a support obligation, you may still have a legal obligation to pay child support. You should check the paperwork and take any additional steps to terminate your obligation to pay child support.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 5/10/2013
John Russo | John Russo
When your parental rights are terminated all prospective child support ends at that moment, but if you did not negotiate any retroactive support amounts, i.e. arrears then you are still on the hook, most people overlook this fact they just hear no more child support, the problem here is this is support you owe for when you still had parental rights and you did not pay it , now you have lost any leverage you may have had on this issue at the time, like saying I will agree to sign now and save everyone time and expense if you waive the back support they will most likely agree at that point but like the old saying goes, you snooze you loose. There is no incentive for them to agree at this point in time.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 5/10/2013
Kunin &Carman | Ishi Kunin
What does that mean? Did someone else adopt? Were your rights terminated? You can't voluntarily give up your parental rights to avoid child support. If there was an adoption or a court termination, any monies you owed prior to that date can still be collected.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/10/2013
Correia-Champa & Mailhot
Correia-Champa & Mailhot | Susan Correia Champa
Giving up parental rights does not translate into termination of any child support obligations that you might have. I would contact an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 5/10/2013
What do you mean signed over your parental rights? Until a child emancipates or your parental rights are terminated by a court you are responsible for child support.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/10/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Very little, signing over your RIGHTS, in Michigan, does not relieve you of your RESPONSIBILITIES.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/10/2013
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    Pay the child support. It is your obligation as a father. And if the state did not participate in turning over the rights or there was no court order, you have not signed over your rights.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 5/10/2013
    Woods, May & Matlock, PC
    Woods, May & Matlock, PC | Robert J. Matlock
    Once a child support payment is due and is not paid, the debt remains and can be pursued.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 5/10/2013
Click to View More Answers: