If I sign over parental rights do I still pay child support? How? 11 Answers as of June 30, 2015

If I sign over my parental rights am I still entitled to pay current or back child support?

Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
It depends upon the document. Most times it is to permit an adoption to go through which is usually the consideration for a waiver of all support going forward; and most times a waiver of any arrears unless there was public assistance involved.
Terminating your parental rights is a bit more complicated than signing them over. There is a court procedure called in many states Termination of Parental Rights. Consult a family law attorney about whether you have grounds for a voluntary termination. Remember that courts would rather that parents pay support for their children rather than have the County pay.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
If you sign over rights to be involved with the child or see the child, you still have to pay child support. You only don't have to pay child support if someone else adopts the child and agrees to take over your legal financial responsibility for the child.
When you state, Sign over parental rights are you currently either being forced to by the state, or is there a private adoption and termination proceeding pending, i.e. is the child other parent remarried and are they seeking termination and adoption under the your states statute. If either of the the above is true then you will not have to pay for future support obligations, but you must make any arrears you owned part of any agreement to zero them out before preceding since those obligations where from the times you were obligated to pay.
Provda Law Firm
Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
You will not pay future child support, but back child support is not erased and must be paid.
    Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
    Once your rights are terminated, you will no longer have to pay child support. However, any back support owed will still have to be paid unless it is owed to the mother and she is willing to forgive the arrearage.
    Yes, you pay all past and current support unless the child is adopted by another which acts as on future obligations only.
    Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
    Current child support should terminate when you sign over rights. Back child support does not automatically go away.
    Peggy M. Raddatz
    Peggy M. Raddatz | Peggy M. Raddatz
    You can only do that via an adoption by another or if the court takes your child away for a use or neglect. There is no other way to relinquish your parental rights in Illinois. Yes you would still owe back support.
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    You pay the same way as anyone else whether or not you "sign over " rights.
    As a precaution, you should make certain that those arrears have been waived as part of this agreement and have that agreement embodied in any court order. Any future financial obligation to the child ends at the time the parental rights are terminated.