If I settled a lawsuit in 2005, why was there activity for another five years and I did not know? 13 Answers as of November 27, 2013

I settled a lawsuit in 2005. I got way less than what my attorney said I would. There has been activity for five years without my knowledge. Depositions, etc. I received my check 12/2005. That doesn't even show on court documents. They told me it was over, but in January 2006 the court documents said it was dismissed. Then I see that there has been activity for another five years without my knowledge. How can this be? It's my lawsuit and five years of activity and they not told me nothing! Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
It could be to resolve other claims in the suit. You would have to talk to your attorney or check the court file to know.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 11/26/2013
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Case over when settled probably mistake in clerk's office.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 11/25/2013
Vasilaros Legal,LLC
Vasilaros Legal,LLC | Steven T. Vasilaros
I cannot determine what may be transpiring in your case from the information you have provided. However, all documents filed in a court case are public record. I suggest you visit the clerk of courts office and look at the file. I also suggest you speak to your attorney as soon as possible.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 11/25/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
I cannot tell you. If the docket says that it was dismissed, that should have been the end of it. Were there other plaintiffs? Their cases may have continued. The court clerk could be putting the data in the wrong file. I suppose you could go to the clerk's office and look at the documents that have been filed. If the attorney is asking for more money for you, then I think you need to file a complaint with the state bar association.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 11/21/2013
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
I am just guessing, but perhaps when you filed suit against the defendant, the defendant may have brought into the suit other parties because of contractual relationships it may have had with those other parties. That suit, called a "3rd party action" can be a fight to determine the split of responsibility between the other parties. Wars like that, between several insurance companies, can go on for years, because they want it to set a precedent for other contract wars that they have between themselves.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/21/2013
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C.
    Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C. | Pete Leehey
    You should direct your questions to the lawyer that represented you in that case. It's not unusual for a dismissal to be filed shortly after the settlement check is received. I can't imagine what activity there would be on a court file after a dismissal is filed.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 11/21/2013
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
    Either hire another attorney to find out what has been going on, or file a complaint with the local Bar Association asking that they investigate the matter for you.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 11/21/2013
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    You need to get with your lawyer and ask him or her that question.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 11/27/2013
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    We'd have to know what the "activity" was and see any documents related to those activities in order to comment. If you have those documents, you can make an appointment with the lawyer you had in 2005, meet with that lawyer, show the documents and ask for an explanation. I would recommend that rather than a letter or phone call. If you are not satisfied, you can have an office consultation with another attorney. You will probably have to pay a consultation fee, but it it will likely be worth the cost.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 11/21/2013
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    First off, if you were paid and signed off in 05 what difference does it make to you. There might be other parties and other issues, liens, subrogation, infants, incompetents, who knows what all. You can ask your lawyer and quit guessing or go to the courthouse and review the file. It is public and open to anyone to see.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 11/21/2013
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    There is no way to answer this without knowing more about the facts of your lawsuit, if there are other parties and what activities have taken place. You should sit down with your lawyer and ask him to explain all of this otherwise you should sit down with lawyer to do the same.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 11/21/2013
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    You are not making any sense. 1. When you settle a case, it is customary to agree to dismiss the suit, with prejudice. 2. There CANNOT be "activity" on a case AFTER it is dismissed unless someone tries to reinstate it. If it is settled nobody would try. 3. Why aren't you asking YOUR attorney these questions?
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 11/26/2013
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    I think you should ask your lawyer. Were there other parties to the case, so that the case went forward as to those parties?
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 11/26/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney