If I see an attorney to get legal counsel regarding my rights and possible alimony, can it impact me negatively through the divorce trial? 15 Answers as of July 25, 2013

I have been married for 25 years, non working woman and my husband is having an affair, has had addiction issues and is trying to decide if he wants to continue to be in our relationship.

Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
I generally think it's a good idea to talk to an attorney about the issues and get an understanding of what you may be entitled to by law. As for how you choose to proceed which is your decision, not an attorney's, then that ultimately impacts the outcome. Many attorneys can help you settle issues and find a way to compromise in order to avoid trial as well.
The Law Firm of Jessica M. Cotter, P.L.L.C. | Jessica M. Cotter
It is difficult for me to see how your obtaining advice from experienced family law counsel could negatively impact you in a dissolution matter, in fact, such action would be in your best interest.
Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
I cannot think of any possible way that seeing an attorney to determine your rights could possibly have a negative outcome. While he is determining whether he wants to continue to be in your relationship, you should be determining whether YOU want to be in the relationship. Speaking with an attorney may well help you make that determination.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
No. Meeting with an attorney will have no impact on any future divorce action. You need to meet with a family law attorney as soon as possible to protect your rights. Good luck.
Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation
Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation | Elizabeth Jones
No. It is a good idea to consult with a family law attorney.
    Perez-Jenkins Law, LLC | Patricia Perez-Jenkins
    No. Everybody has a right to seek legal counsel. As attorneys we are supposed to keep even the fact that we spoke with you confidential. So if you are careful from your side no one ever need know that you spoke to an attorney about your rights.
    441 Legal Group, Inc.
    441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
    No that won't impact you negatively quite the opposite.
    Glenn Milgraum PC
    Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
    No. Everyone has a right to hire/interview Counsel of their own choosing. It is important that you educate yourself on the process, as early as possible, so that you can move forward with confidence and a plan.
    Law Office of Jacob R. Lauser
    Law Office of Jacob R. Lauser | Jacob R. Lauser
    Consulting an attorney will never negatively impact your rights. If anything, it will help you understand your options better and make better choices with regard to your divorce. Good Luck!
    What are you talking about, since when does obtaining legal advice impact someone negatively.
    Eric Johnson
    Eric Johnson | Eric Johnson
    I cannot see how consulting an attorney for legal advice about divorce could realistically have a negative impact on a divorce action.