If I reopen my DWI case in another state, will I get jail time? 1 Answers as of May 30, 2014

I got a DWI in 2010 and did not show up for court. The state has suspended my license. I have had 3 DWI convictions in the last 25 years but I already served 4 months in jail for them. The DWI's are all over 10 years ago.

Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
If you did not show up for court, your case is not closed; it remains open. The criminal justice system does not reward people for running away from their legal problems. In fact, they make it worse on you by potentially adding new charges of bail jumping and setting high or no bail when you are eventually found. Someone with 3 prior DWIs facing a 4th who warranted about 4 years ago is almost certainly looking at jail time. That being said your lawyer can try to get some leniency if you turn yourself in rather than cops dragging you back in handcuffs.