If I received a civil demand for shoplifting ($10) and paid it will it go on my record because they said it was a misdemeanor? 4 Answers as of February 02, 2015

If it is going on my record will it stay there for life? Also does this show up in background checks. I’m just very confused. I’m 18 by the way.

The civil demand fee is separate and apart from the criminal charge. Since a theft conviction is detrimental to your record in many respects, you might want to retain an attorney now to attempt to negotiate with the store as to both a settlement of the civil demand a civil compromise of the criminal charge. The store might not do that as many have a practice of strictly prosecuting shoplifting cases. In any event the civil demand is subject to negotiations and you can attempt that either by yourself or through an attorney.
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
A civil demand will not go on your record but a misdemeanor conviction will. This conviction will remain on your record for life unless you petition the court for an expungement after you have satisfied all of the terms of your probation.
Law Office of Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
The civil demand has nothing to do with the criminal case. It doesn't make a record, filing a criminal case makes a record.
Don't confuse the civil case between you and the store with the criminal case in court between you and the state. Paying the civil demand will do absolutely nothing for you in the criminal case. Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.