If I received call from a police saying a department store wants to press charges against me, can I tell him I'd like to speak to an attorney? 4 Answers as of February 27, 2017

The police department here called me saying this department store wants to press charges. They called me saying they wanted to get my side. I should apparently be getting a call from a detective soon, is it too late since a police offer talked to me already? I was a former employee at this store and now I'm banned from going there.

Absolutely you have the right to speak to an attorney and you should. If you believe you are suspected of a crime or the police do not tell you why they are interviewing you, most good criminal defense attorneys advise to speak to an attorney before responding to police questioning. You never have to speak to the police whether you are a suspect or merely a witness.
It's never too late to talk to an attorney. You have a right to remain silent, but only if you exercise that right. Under no circumstances are you to talk to this detective or anyone else regarding these accusations without an attorney present. Hire an attorney immediately and have your attorney talk to the detective.
Chambers Law Firm
Chambers Law Firm | Dan E. Chambers
Yes, you can.
No it's not too late, since you haven't talked to the detective yet. You have the right to remain silent. Only idiots talk to investigators/cops. Remember, no matter what you say it will be twisted around and used against you later.