If I pay the civil demand, will I be okay and not get summoned to court for shoplifting? 1 Answers as of August 07, 2014

I was caught with two nail polish in my purse. They took me in the back room asked me questions, scanned my ID and I signed two forms. I was so nervous and the event is kind of blurred. If I want information regarding what I signed, should I call them?

Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
No. Paying the civil demand will have to bearing on whether or not you are summonsed to court for the Shoplifting charge. In fact, when I represent clients summonsed to a Show Cause hearing or even Summonsed to arraignment for Shoplifting, I usually get rid of the civil demand for them as part of the representation. There are a few courts that want to see this paid, but most do not care. I strongly suggest you hire a Criminal Defense lawyer to represent you on the Shoplifting charge and let that lawyer advise you on the civil demand.