If I owned my house before marriage and want my husband to leave, what should I do? 2 Answers as of July 16, 2013

I owned my New Jersey home with a mortgage for about 10 years before I got married two years ago. Marriage isn't working out, my husband's name is not on the deed, mortgage or anything else. We have no joint accounts and have not saved any money since we've married. Does he have a right to 1) stay in the house if I want him to leave? There is no abuse. 2) get part of my house in a the division of our property?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Davies Law Firm, P.A.
The Davies Law Firm, P.A. | Robert F. Davies, Esq.
This is the kind of situation that requires some careful discussion with a divorce attorney, and some planning.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 7/16/2013
Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
If argued properly, he should only be able to get his equitable share of the "marital monies" used to maintain the home during the marriage. Getting him out before the divorce can be finalized is a stickier issue which cannot be addressed with the limited facts supplied.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 7/11/2013
Click to View More Answers: