If I owe my mom’s estate $17,000 am I allowed to pay this off before settlement? 10 Answers as of December 03, 2013

Estrada Law P.C. | Michele Ungvarsky
The estate could be settled by taking the $17,000 out of your share of the assets if there is enough in assets. If there is not enough assets you could be asked to re-pay the debt prior to the final settlement.
Answer Applies to: New Mexico
The executor of your mother's estate needs to collect all debts owning to the estate prior to settling the estate. This would include what you owe your mother.
Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
It should be repaid to the Estate before distributions are made. You want to avoid discharge of indebtedness income. This information is only intended to give general information in response to an inquiry. It does not establish an attorney client relationship. This response is only based upon the limited facts presented and is merely intended to assist you in determining if you should contact an attorney to provide you with legal advice.
Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
What settlement? More information is needed. You may not even owe this money, unless it was clear you were expected to repay it, upon her death.
    Depends on the terms of the note promise.
    You can pay a debt at any time. However, it may be easier just to offset what you are to receive against the amount you owe.
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    Yes, you can pay it any time. Just be sure you get a receipt.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    It might depend on the terms of a loan or other agreement that created the debt; I can't imagine why you wouldn't be entitled to pay it off.
    Yes, you ca pay it off at that time. The Executor can just subtract that amount from anything you are to receive. If you are short, then you would owe the estate that amount.