If I owe income tax from a previous year can I still get a refund? How? 7 Answers as of May 27, 2015

I have a tax account and am current on my payments. Will I still be able to get a tax refund from the IRS?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
JV Law Group, LLP
JV Law Group, LLP | Julie Jung
If you have a tax balance, the refund will be applied to the tax balance owed. If the tax balance owed is less than the refund amount, then any amount remaining will be sent to you. If the tax balance owed is more than the refund amount, you have to continue making your monthly payments until the remaining amount owed is paid off in full.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/27/2015
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
Your question is not completely clear to me. I think you are saying that you owe money for 2013 (or earlier) taxes but are entitled to a refund of 2014. If so, your refund will be used to offset and reduce your debt.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/20/2015
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
Probably not. If you owe money to the IRS they will take your refund to pay down the tax. If your refund exceeds what you owe, then you could receive the difference.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/19/2015
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
No, the IRS will offset your refund against your previous tax debt even if you have an installment agreement.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 5/19/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
That will depend on your payment agreement, normally they take the refunds.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/19/2015
    Polsinelli Shughart PC | William B. Prugh
    Please go to the IRS web page at www.irs.gov for a full answer. It is more than likely any refund will be held and applied to taxes owed for past years. That is just common sense. And, I think it is included in any assessment of back taxes or documents for a payment plan.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 5/19/2015
    Tomas Ayuban
    Tomas Ayuban | Tomas Ayuban
    Generally if you owe taxes to the IRS, they will seize your refund and apply towards your outstanding balance.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 5/19/2015
Click to View More Answers: