If I need a car and I am filing chapter 13, can I get one after I file or should I get one before? 11 Answers as of May 05, 2015

Get one before you file. That way you'll get a reasonable interest rate in the Ch 13 rather than the high rate on the loan.
Either way works. You will need court permission after you file so before might be the best way to go.
Before, if you have a choice. I can give you someone's name and number to buy a car from. Call me if you are interested.
Law Office of Michael Johnson
Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
You can do either, but I have found that it is easier if you get it before. Also if you get it prior there may be an option to lower any interest rate that is provided to you.
Law Offices of Daniel J Winter
Law Offices of Daniel J Winter | Daniel J Winter
There isn't enough information to answer that question. It depends on your whole situation. Call an experienced bankruptcy attorney for a free consultation.
    It is easier before than after filing, unless your credit is really bad.
    It sort of depends on your budget and what goal you want to accomplish in your Chapter 13. Trustees are well aware of the strategy of getting a new vehicle loan before filing Chapter 13 and may impose additional demands as a result. Proceed with caution.
    It is probably easier to get one before so you can have the car payment as an expense.
    Before filing makes it easier. Once you file a petition, you need the Trustee's permission.
    The Orantes Law Firm
    The Orantes Law Firm | Giovanni Orantes
    It would be less expensive for you to get it before you file the petition because you will have to ask permission from the Judge to incur such debt after the case is filed and preparing the motion to request permission is billable by an attorney.
    Tokarska Law Center
    Tokarska Law Center | Kathryn U. Tokarska
    If you're going into chapter 13, I assume you're going to hire an attorney. Not doing so, is not smart. The success rates in chapter 13 by self represented individuals is less than 2%. When you consult with the attorney discuss this concern with him or her. They can best advise you based on your circumstances. For some people it makes sense to get a vehicle first, for others not. I assume when you say chapter 13, you do mean chapter 13, not chapter 7.