If I missed my court date for a DUI, what would be the consequence? 12 Answers as of July 27, 2015

I was arrested for a DUI and failed to attend the court date given. It's been about a month and I would really like to take care of this. I was wondering what sort of consequence I'm looking at.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
I am sure there is a warrant out for your arrest due to your failure to appear. My advice: contact the court and see if you can get on a warrant re-call calendar and get the case back on track. The court is not going to call you. If you do nothing, eventually you will be picked up and taken to jail and from there you will appear before the judge. Don't let it go that far.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 7/27/2015
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You will be arrested or turn yourself in on the bench warrant that was issued when you failed to appear for court, and your driver's license will be suspended. See website for info on retaining the right attorney, rather than continuing to stick your head in the sand, hoping this will all go away, because you cannot believe this is happening to you.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/27/2015
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
Most likely, there is a bench warrant issued for your arrest. I strongly suggest that you hire an attorney to help you get the warrant recalled.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/27/2015
Anderson Law Office
Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
There is most likely a warrant for your arrest or bail that would need to be posted. Please contact an attorney asap to discuss your options and help you resolve the case.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 7/27/2015
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
The judge has probably issued a bench warrant for your arrest and it is probably still outstanding. The best thing to do would be to contact either your attorney or to retain one to help you at this point. Counsel can possibly arrange for you to avoid jail time while you await your trial. Failing that, you should contact the court, explain what happened and arrange for a date to surrender yourself to the court.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 7/27/2015
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    You should hire a lawyer to go to court to recall the warrant. A lawyer can do this without you present if the underlying charge is a misdemeanor, so it is less risky for you.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 7/27/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    See an attorney, there is most probably a bench warrant out for your arrest.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 7/27/2015
    Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
    Any sanction depends on the Judge. If you have an attorney contact them immediately and request they schedule a court date. If it has been long time some Judges issue a Bench Warrant; if so most Judges rule you will some time in Jail. One day in jail for each day you are late in reporting to the court. If you do not have an attorney notify the Judges office and beg to be placed on the schedule.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 7/27/2015
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    The court has almost certainly issued a bench warrant for your arrest. Sheriffs don't go out roaming the county seeking to execute these warrants: if you were stopped for a traffic offense, for example, they would discover it and take you in. Sooner or later, though, they would want to clean out the file of warrants, and they'd get you then. Of course, you should retain a lawyer. But lawyered up or not, you should be able to call the Clerk of Court for the county where you were supposed to appear, explain that you missed the court date for [whatever the court appearance was for] and you'd like to come in and take care of it very soon. The clerk will either tell you to show up on a certain day and time, or else have you contact the District Attorney's office to set up a new appearance. Sometimes they insist you come to the courthouse and receive a notice of the new date and time 'in hand,' so you an never deny that you knew the new date. Good Luck.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 7/27/2015
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    There probably has been a warrant entered for your arrest. Soon there will be a judgment against you which will revoke your license. You need to retain an attorney ASAP to clear this up.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 7/27/2015
    Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
    A warrant will be issued for your arrest and you will be placed in jail.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 7/27/2015
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren | Russell A. Warren
    The consequences vary depending on how the charge was issued (that is, is it a Municipal, County or State charge), and what court it is coming out of. The first thing you need to do is to contact the Clerk of the Court and inquire whether a Warrant has been issued and if any bond amount is due....or if the court has reset your case to another docket date.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 7/27/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!