If I marry my US citizen boyfriend while having DACA (work permit), does that affect me or does it help me? 7 Answers as of April 01, 2014

Hello. I obtained my work permit in March of last year and I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years. We are talking about marriage but I am not sure if marrying would affect my work permit or if it helps me into getting a residency? I am Mexican and I know things aren't as easy for us as it is for other countries. I would like to know if marrying helps me or if it's going to affect me. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Herrera & Juelle LLP | Carlos Juelle
Getting married to a US Citizen while a DACA beneficiary will not hurt you, and could benefit you by allowing you to get your lawful residency in the United States.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/1/2014
Penn Law
Penn Law | Gigi Penn
You may get married and then he can file a spouse petition using I-130, with an adjustment of status I-485. Since you have DACA, you have "legal status" already and would not have to return to Mexico to wait for a visa. Congratulations.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/1/2014
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
Getting DACA is not the same as qualifying for a green card. If you entered the US unlawfully, even if you are married to a US citizen, under the current immigration laws you are not eligible to adjust status to permanent residence within the US.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/1/2014
Law Offices of Linda Rose Fessler | Linda Fessler
If you marry him you can apply for a conditional green card.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/31/2014
Law Office of Eric Fisher | Eric Fisher
If your boyfriend is a US citizen, the marriage can result in your getting permanent residency. It should not affect your DACA permit.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 3/31/2014
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
    It could potentially create a path to residence for you, but without more information I cannot assess whether you could seek adjustment of status in the United States or would need to return to Mexico for consular processing. Marriage to a U.S. citizen will have no bearing on DACA. I recommend you meet with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss the matter further.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 3/31/2014
    Coane and Associates
    Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
    Generally speaking, there is no problem with a person's DACA case if they get married. if a DACA recipient marries a USA citizen, the citizen can then file papers to start the green card process. There may be limitations based on how you entered the USA so it is a good idea to meet with a Board Certified lawyer like myself.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 3/31/2014
Click to View More Answers: