If I marry my boyfriend can he get a visa to come to America? 5 Answers as of June 10, 2011

I am a resident of the US and my boyfriend is from Algeria. He tried to get a visa to come here but they denied to him. I want to know, if I marry him will he be able to get a visa to come and see me? How long will it take for him to get his papers or a visa?

Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
As a resident you cannot seek a fiancee visa for your boyfriend. You must first naturalize.
If they denied him a B-2 it will be difficult for him to enter the US to visit, in particular if you are an LPR. After you are married, you can file an I-130 petition for him.That is the first step of the green card process. Once his filing date appears in the visa bulletin box, he can then process his green card at the US consulate. Go to my website and click on visa bulletin, select the recent one and then scroll to the family based green card chart. When his filing date appears in the allocated box, that is when his case can move forward.
Marriage to a US citizen will make it much more difficult to get a visitor visa, but he will be eligible for a K-3 visa as the spouse of a US citizen.
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
You will be able to petition for him, but as a permanent resident it will be four or five years until an immigrant visa is available to him.
You would need to be a U.S. citizen to file either a fiance visa or spouse visa.