If I marry an illegal immigrant who owes federal taxes will I be responsible for his debt? 2 Answers as of May 09, 2011

I am a US Citizen. If I marry an illegal who has been working in the US and not paying federal taxes, will I be responsible for his debt?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
Generally, if you file your return as married filing separately ("MFS"), you will not be liable for his taxes. However, note that filing MFS may result, and often times does, result in paying more taxes than you would if you filed married filing jointly. But it may be well worth it in the long run to file MFS.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 5/9/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
No. His tax debt is his own. You can keep filing separately. Better yet, why don't you have him settle it before you marry. One last thing, please put this question to your tax attorney or whoever does your taxes for obvious reasons. Don't rely on an immigration attorney for tax matters. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: