If I live in Washington, how do I a file a divorce if my spouse is a fugitive? 1 Answers as of March 10, 2011

I want to divorce my husband. For almost 2 years, I have lived in Bellingham, and have been separated from him. He is a fugitive. How do I do this if I have no address or residence for him?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Glenn E. Tanner
Glenn E. Tanner | Glenn E. Tanner
You can file the case in Bellingham, at the Superior Court. The question is how you serve your husband. One method is to serve him by publication, but that is usually expensive. You can make a motion, pursuant to Superior Court Civil Rule 4(d)(4), to serve by mail if it is just as likely as publication to reach your husband. In other words, if both methods are unlikely to reach him, the court may allow you to send the summons and petition to an old address or the address of a relative, etc. Your local court house faciliator, ask the clerk for their number, may have a form for you to use. Otherwise, your motion must be in writing and can be simple. Such as, "I am asking the court for an order to serve my husband by mail at the following address:
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/10/2011
Click to View More Answers: