If I live in Washington and am looking for a criminal defense lawyer what should I look for? 3 Answers as of April 19, 2011

If I live in Washington and am looking for a criminal defense lawyer what should I look for? How do I begin this process?

Law Office of James A Schoenberger
Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
Look for an attorney with a practice limited to, or substantially devoted to, criminal defense as he/she is likely to have more expertise than one who also does probate, family law etc. Look at how long they have been practicing law. Ask about their theories of defense on your case. It is also important that you "connect" with the attorney and feel comfortable communicating and having this attorney handle your case.
Mercado & Hartung
Mercado & Hartung | Stephanie Hartung
It is important to find an attorney that is familiar with the court that you are charged in and practices that particular type of law. It is also important that you feel comfortable with the attorney. Many attorneys offer free consultations, so you can interview attorneys at no cost to you. If your case is anywhere in Snohomish or King County please feel free to contact me for more information or to set up a free consultation. Best of luck.
Law Office of Michael Brodsky
Law Office of Michael Brodsky | Michael Brodsky
Finding the right attorney to defend you in a criminal matter is crucial. But how do you find a good, competent criminal defense attorney? Unlike plumbers or even physicians, it can be awkward or embarrassing to ask a friend or family member to recommend a criminal defense lawyer. Thats why I encourage people to call or schedule a consultation to find evaluate the attorney and learn how they can help. Consultations by phone, in the office or even by e-mail should be free. Insist on meeting with the attorney who will be handling your case, not an assistant or associate. A good attorney should be honest and direct with clients from the beginning and not simply telling the client what they like to hear. You have the right to know what you are facing and what the attorney can do to help. The Attorney should discuss your situation, explain your options, and provide you with a plan for going forward.