If I left my house and mortgage in 2009 and I live in another state now, does the mortgage company have any legal recourse against me? 6 Answers as of February 25, 2014

Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
Yes, you can be sued for any deficiency that the mortgage company incurred when the house was sold in foreclosure, if the state you left allows that. If the mortgage company sues and gets a judgment, it can garnish your wages and levy on your bank account. However, mortgage debt and judgments arising from mortgage debt are discharged in bankruptcy.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq. | Stacy Joel Safion
Usually they non judicially foreclose. If they do, they have no recluse against you.
Yes, they can foreclose and then sue you for the deficiency. They do not often take this route but they can. You can consider bankruptcy to prevent it from happening.
The fact you live in another state is irrelevant. Whether the loan is "recourse" in California will determine your lender's right to come after you personally.
Portland Bankruptcy Law Group
Portland Bankruptcy Law Group | Christopher J. Kane
You remain liable for that debt, no matter where you live. If you file bankruptcy, you will be relieved of that liability.