If I just finished my 5 year bankruptcy case, how do I get the title to my vehicle cleared so I can sell it? 14 Answers as of January 10, 2014

How do I get clear title to my truck so I can sell it?

David R. Fondren, Attorney at Law
David R. Fondren, Attorney at Law | David R. Fondren
the creditor should send you something or the title if they have it.
Richard L. Hirsh, P.C. | Richard L. Hirsh
It depends on the terms of your chapter 13 plan and if the loan is now considered paid in full.
Rhymer Law Firm
Rhymer Law Firm | William Rhymer
You need to talk with your attorney. He or she should help you get it. If you did not have an attorney, you will need to get the title from the finance company with a statement releasing the lien.
If the vehicle is paid off the creditor has to give you title. If they don't, then you have to file a motion to make them give it back to you.
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Make written demand on the lender. They have only about 30 days to deliver it if you indeed paid off the lien.
    OlsenDaines, PC
    OlsenDaines, PC | Kristoffer Sperry
    Getting your title back can be very difficult. Often it is as simple as contacting the creditor and requesting the title but sometimes it requires a little more work and patience. If you request title from the creditor and you don't receive it within 6 weeks let your attorney know and they can request it from the creditor.
    If you paid off your vehicle through your Chapter 13, I suggest you begin by contacting the lender by phone first, will a follow up by mail.
    OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
    It usually takes about 30 days after the chapter 13 discharge to get your car title. One common problem is that people move and the lender sends the title to the old address. Make sure the lender has your current address. It is not enough that the court and trustee have your address. If you don't have the title within 30 days (after the discharge order is entered, not after your last payment is made), then call the lender. You might be on hold for a while, but you will eventually get someone. When they tell you the can not speak to you because of the bankruptcy, tell them the bankruptcy is over.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    Once you get the discharge order you can demand clear title from the creditor.
    Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
    Once your case is discharged the lender should send the title to you. They are not required to release the title until the discharge order is issued. You could contact your lawyer if you need it sooner and see if he or she can help.
    Elkington Law
    Elkington Law | Sally Elkington
    If your vehicle was paid in full or crammed down through your plan, and you have received your discharge order, you should request your pink slip. Denying you such may be a violation of the discharge order. If you don't receive it after requesting it in writing, contact an attorney to reopen your case and bring an action against the lender.
    Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C.
    Law Office of J. Thomas Black, P.C. | J. Thomas Black
    Contact your attorney to request it from the finance company. If they fail or refuse to provide it, your attorney can take further action with the Bankruptcy Court.
    Law Office of Shawn N. Wright | Shawn N. Wright
    I am not sure how your truck loan was handled in your Chapter 13 plan. In Western Pennsylvania, we file our Chapter 13 plans to pay off vehicle loans during the 5 year plan term. And our Chapter 13 plans indicate (unless they are treated as long-term, continuing debts) that the lenders have to release the titles at the end of the plan. So, your attorney should contact the truck lender to release the title. Invariably, if you have crammed down the vehicle interest rate during the Chapter 13, the lenders will wait to receive your discharge order before they release the title. Even then, you have to formally request it. Okay, good luck.
    If your car is paid then you have to call the lender and ask for a lien release to bring to motor vehicle.