If I have a young child that receives SSI disability, will changing his last name to my maiden name affect his SSI benefits? 5 Answers as of May 01, 2014

I want to change his last name because he has his father's last name and he's not in his life. His father doesn't pay child support or anything.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
You can't just change the child's name. You would have to ask the permission of the family court which includes serving the motion on the father. If the child receives SSI because the father is on SSI that is construed as his contribution to child support.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/1/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
It shouldn't since his SSN will be the same. However, you will need a court order to do that legally and the dad may not agree.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 5/1/2014
John Russo | John Russo
How do you propose to change the name? You need a court order.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 5/1/2014
Family Law & Mediation Services, LLC | Carol Jean Romine
You should ask the Social Security Administration this question. The State has no authority to override the Federal program, so it is entirely up to the SSA rather than a State court that has jurisdiction over the child.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 5/1/2014
Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
That should not change his benefits.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 5/1/2014
Click to View More Answers: