If I have a young child that receives SSI disability, will changing his last name to my maiden name affect his SSI benefits? 5 Answers as of May 01, 2014

I want to change his last name because he has his father's last name and he's not in his life. His father doesn't pay child support or anything.

Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
You can't just change the child's name. You would have to ask the permission of the family court which includes serving the motion on the father. If the child receives SSI because the father is on SSI that is construed as his contribution to child support.
It shouldn't since his SSN will be the same. However, you will need a court order to do that legally and the dad may not agree.
How do you propose to change the name? You need a court order.
Family Law & Mediation Services, LLC | Carol Jean Romine
You should ask the Social Security Administration this question. The State has no authority to override the Federal program, so it is entirely up to the SSA rather than a State court that has jurisdiction over the child.
Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
That should not change his benefits.