If I have a sole custody, parent no showing to almost all visits, can request the court to take away her visitation rights? 2 Answers as of May 08, 2017

I have full legal and physical custody. Mom has 3 visits per year and has missed 2 of them every year for the last 3 years. She changes phone numbers constantly, we can never get ahold of her and it will be months between hearing anything from her. She has not completed the court ordered parenting/domestic violence classes in 3 years, and she expressed that she has no intention of ever doing them she just wants to "see her son whenever she wants" but she is very flakey. This is harming our son, and I want the court to consider taking away all visitation rights since she is not utilizing them and it is messing with our schedule. Would the court consider this if I have all of the documentation and supporting witnesses?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
It is difficult to get a no visitation order. You generally will need an expert to opine that any visitation is harmful to the child. You don't say what the present visitation order is. You may be able to request a modification to limit the visits so there is more certainty.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/8/2017
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
From the brief description that you have of the court order, it sounds like mothers time is already extremely limited. I'm not sure what would it be accomplished if you try to scale it back further. If anything, it might be best to structure a new court order to have power on whether or not the visitation should take place and request that counseling take place in advance of any visitation since theres been such an extremely long gap of contact between mother and child.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/7/2017
Click to View More Answers: