If I have MS been disabled since 2005 started collection disability since 2007, can I still file bankruptcy without being penalized? 8 Answers as of August 01, 2017

My problem is I have $30,000 in credit card bills, and I can’t pay them back. I've tried as best as I could but I will be dead before they are paid off. I get Social Security that's it $1,100 a month to live off of. Question I filed bankruptcy before in 2008 because back in 2006 I lost my job due to MS could not work anymore and lost everything I had due to medical bills and credit cards of $80,000 that was all discharged. 10 years will be January of 2018. I have only a checking account that's it? I'm so worried it's stressing me.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
Yes, you can.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/1/2017
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
The main purposes of bankruptcy is to avoid having your creditors seize your property and to avoid having creditors seize your income.After 10 years on SS disability, do you have any assets of value?SS disability is exempt from attachment by your creditors.Unless you have valuable assets, all filing bankruptcy will do is stop your collection calls. Unless you're a nervous person, I wouldn't bother filing bankruptcy?
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 7/31/2017
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
I am not sure why you are asking this question. Being disabled and unable to pay your debts does not prevent you from filing a bankruptcy. However, bankruptcy may not be necessary for you to avoid paying your debts if your only source of income is social security, as this income is fully protected from being seized by most creditors with a court judgment.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/31/2017
OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
Yes, you can file a new chapter 7 at this time and eliminate all of the debt.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 7/31/2017
GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
Yes, you can file.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 7/31/2017
Click to View More Answers: