If I have the key to my friend’s shop, can I access it without his knowledge and be arrested? 4 Answers as of January 09, 2014

I was living with a good friend, working for him in his shop and we recently just moved all of our stuff into his shop while changing homes. He got irate last night and said he doesn't want to speak to me because he thinks he is out of my league. All of my belongings are inside. I have a key and the alarm code.

Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
It is not illegal to take your items. If you were living there it may be that he should have given you a notice to move. It is illegal to take anything that belongs to him and it could be considered burglary, possibly residential burglary, if you enter and take anything that does not belong to you. It would be better if you can get a mutual friend to supervise and mediate any disputes between you and your former friend.
Strowbridge Blaisdel Richardson | Strowbridge Richardson
Think about what you want. You will be MUCH better off if you are upfront with your friend and make the necessary agreements to move your personal belongings out of the storage area. He owns the property and you must respect his ownership. Yes, even though you have codes, keys, etc. you should have his permission to go into his property to retrieve your personal property.
Unless you have a legal right to access and/or permission express or implied to go in whenever you want, you could be charged with trespassing and if he is really a jerk about it and claimed you had a larcenous intent whether you took anything but your stuff or not you could be charged with felony burglary.
Attorney at Law
Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
I would not do it you could easily get arrested for burglary and then have to explain yourself in criminal court.