If I have a green card, can I apply for my husband and how long will it take? 2 Answers as of June 03, 2015

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You can apply for your husband but it will take a little time depending on what country he is from. Please check the State Department's Visa Bulletin and it will give you some idea.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/3/2015
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
A U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (holder of a "Green Card") may petition for a spouse in the Family-Based Second Preference (F2A) visa category. According to the June, 2015 Visa Bulletin issued by the U.S. Department of State, visas are now available for foreign national spouses from most countries who have a Priority Date (application filing date) of October 1, 2013 or earlier (there is a slightly longer backlog for Mexican nationals in this visa category). While that may appear to show that for a newly filed case, one would need to wait about 20 months for a visa to become available, in fact the priority dates progress and retrogress irregularly, and so the actual wait may be more (or less) than 20 months. Once a Priority Date becomes current, one may go forward with consular processing (if the foreign national spouse is abroad) or adjustment of status (if the foreign national is in the U.S. in valid nonimmigrant status). If you apply for and become approved as a naturalized U.S. citizen, then you could apply for your husband in the Family-Based Immediate Relative category, for which there is no backlog for visas - they are considered "immediately available." Of course, there are many additional details that address eligibility. It would be wise for you and your husband to confer with an immigration attorney who, after learning all of the relevant details about you and your husband, could advise about eligibilities, options and strategies to attain your goals. Some immigration law firms, including mine, offer legal services on a "flat fee" basis so that a client will know the total expense from the very beginning, and a few immigration law firms, including mine, offer an initial consultation free of charge.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/3/2015
Click to View More Answers: