If I have a garnishment on someone who receives SSI income, will they garnish it? 7 Answers as of January 16, 2014

Will they garnish income that is an SSI disability income?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
The parent who receives SSI needs to apply for SSI payments for the child. This is not a garnishment matter but a matter where the child is entitled to get SSI because a parent is disabled.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 1/16/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
No, that income is not garnishable.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 1/16/2014
Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
Both SSA and SSI income are not subject to garnishment from any creditor with some exceptions. For a more detailed response to this question, you should consult an attorney who understands the relationship between debt collection and income which cannot be seized by debt collectors. The response to this question really depends facts which have not been disclosed.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Replied: 1/16/2014
Barr, Jones & Associates LLP
Barr, Jones & Associates LLP | Andrew Brasse
The only entity that can garnish a social security check is the government. Private creditors or private judgments may not garnish an individual's social security check.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 1/15/2014
John Russo | John Russo
Need more info, like what is thous for? If it is just a garnishment for some type of debt owned the answer is NO, state courts cannot garnish federal checks, but if this is for child support then the SSI already has a built in dependency benefit which should automatically be set to the obligee.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 1/15/2014
    The Law Office of James P Peterson
    The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
    Better than a garnishment is for the custodial parent to apply for the SS benefits intended for the child which will be more than the child support amount. If the child is already past 18 years then yes they will honor the garnishment for child support, but only up to a certain amount.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 1/15/2014
    Paul H. Belanger, P.C. | Paul H. Belanger
    No, unless deposited into a bank account.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/15/2014
Click to View More Answers: