If I have food stamps will my husbands green card be affected? 2 Answers as of April 18, 2011

At this time, I am receiving foodstamps and for my son too. I got married to his dad and he dosent have a green card. I want to get one for him so does it affect that im receiving foodstamps to fix him a green card? Should I cancel them?

You will have problem to prove your ability to prevent him from getting government help. Yes, it will affect his green card.
Yes it does. The problem you will have is that the US Government does not want to support your husband. The thinking is that if you are receiving public assistance, how will you be able to support a new immigrant in the US for the time prescribed? A joint sponsor could be added to your petition but you will still have a problem. I say file for him as early as you can but lose the food stamps and find gainful employment able to support a family of your size. Good luck!