If I have a court case that’s in arbitration, can I have it discharged before the arbitration is finished? 10 Answers as of June 21, 2017

I was sued in court for defamation. My cross complaint was dismissed. It was then sent to arbitration. We are supposed to go to arbitration. I want to have it discharged through chapter 7 prior to that.

Benson Law Firm
Benson Law Firm | David Benson
It depends. The bankruptcy code provides that debts are not dischargeable if they are the result of "willful and malicious injury by the debtor to another entity or to the property of another entity." However, those debts will indeed be discharged if the creditor fails to file an adversary action. You should have an attorney help you with this.
Yes, as long as the creditor does not object that it is an intentional tort.
Possibly, civil cases are generally dismissed and discharged in bankruptcy but not if the damage was caused intentionally. Was your defamation intentional?
Without seeing the exact wording of the complaint, I cannot be completely sure. Certainly you would be better off trying this before a court judgment is issued condemning you. For more information, read 11 USC sec 523.
Consult with local counsel. Bring the complaint with you. Some intentional conduct is not dischargeable, some conduct is discharged in a chapter 13 case.
    Yes. But they can still file an adversary proceeding in your Chapter 7 filing.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    Defamation is a malicious injury to a person and it may not be discharged in a bankruptcy case.
    Defamation is a tricky thing, and if it was intentional, then it would be one of the kinds of debt which is NOT discharged in bankruptcy. By filing your case, you get the benefits of the Automatic Stay, but your creditor can resume efforts to collect after the bankruptcy case is over (of course, he might know that intentional torts are not generally dischargeable.
    Yes, this would be discharged.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    You can file BUT they can request that the Bankruptcy Court let them return for the arbitration, or they can sue you within the bankruptcy to have the debt to them seem non dischargeable.