Can someone be forced to take a paternity test? 17 Answers as of June 26, 2013

Could my parents force my boyfriend to take a paternity test? I'm a minor, he is not. Or is it up to me whether or not he has to take one since since am the mother?

It is unlikely that your parents can force your boyfriend to take a Paternity Test. Only if they are appointed your Guardian ad Litem, can they file a Motion in a Paternity case for an order requiring you to take a Paternity Test. Your boyfriend faces a risk of criminal prosecution for having sex with a minor, so even if he is ordered to take a Paternity Test, he won't go to jail for not taking the test - instead, the Family Law Court will find that he is the father... but that finding cannot be used in a criminal case against your boyfriend.
No, your parents may not force any person to take a paternity test. A Court may do so once a paternity case has been filed and, if there is no cooperation, may find the person in contempt and/or make inferences contrary to their legal position in the case.
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
I don't think that your parents have any particular power to force a paternity test. However, the court does. If a paternity action is filed, the court can order paternity testing. Someone who refused to follow the order could be in contempt.
Petit & Dommershausen SC
Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
Yes, the state can force your boyfriend to take a paternity test if you are getting any kind of services or for criminal proceedings if the State wants to pursue criminal charges for him having sex with a minor. It is likely your parents can go after him for child support for the baby (as you are a minor) and then the court will have him do a paternity test.
AyerHoffman, LLP
AyerHoffman, LLP | Cara Lee Thompson
Your parents certainly cannot force him. However, you can try to obtain a court order ordering him to take a DNA test to determine paternity.
    If they get a court order.
    Yes, a person can be ordered by a court of proper jurisdiction to submit to a paternity test. And, no, it will be up to a judge who is charged with reviewing the issue (if it should ever come before a court qualified to rule on the matter).
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq. | Stephanie Lee Ehrbright
    The court could order him to. There may be issues of statutory rape also. He should speak to a defense attorney.
    Swann-Zwiebel Law Firm, LLC
    Swann-Zwiebel Law Firm, LLC | Elizabeth Swann
    No one can force a person to take a paternity test except for a judge. If you file for child support it is standard practice to prove paternity before ordering the father to pay child support.
    Law Offices of Louis M. Leibowitz, LLC
    Law Offices of Louis M. Leibowitz, LLC | Louis Leibowitz
    In child support situations, a court will often force the purported dad to take a paternity test if he is challenging the claim that he is the dad. I don't think your parents can force someone to take a paternity test.
    If you're a minor, they probably can. Depending on your age and his, he may be headed to prison.
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    No, only the courts can force him to get a paternity test.
    Attorney Paul Lancia
    Attorney Paul Lancia | Paul Lancia
    Yes, through a court order.
    Neither you nor your parents can force anyone to take a paternity test. But, either you or your parents can ask a court to order the paternity test. Because you are a minor, your parents could start a paternity case on your behalf.
    Laguzzi Law, P.C.
    Laguzzi Law, P.C. | Carina Laguzzi
    Don't you need child support? Once you file, its up to him whether or not he contests paternity.
    Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.
    Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C. | Paul A. Eads
    Great question. I would say you hold the privilege on that one. However, someone has to pay support.