If I have a CDL and get a 2nd DUI in my car, will I lose my CDL permanently? 35 Answers as of May 29, 2013

Austin Hirschhorn, P.C.
Austin Hirschhorn, P.C. | Austin Hirschhorn
If you have 2 DUI cases the Commercial Drivers License will be revoked for life, but the licensee can apply for a Commercial Drivers License after 10 years.
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC | Thomas A. Medford, Jr.
I do not believe you will automatically lose you CDL but it could be suspended for a period of time. I would urge you to consult an attorney on this matter.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Nenye Uche—Attorney at Law
Nenye Uche—Attorney at Law | Nenye Uche
In Illinois, even a first DUI will trigger the permanent loss of your CDL. So, the answer is yes. Get an attorney. Immediately.
Law Offices of Phil Shekerlian
Law Offices of Phil Shekerlian | Phil Shekerlian
No, you will not lose your license permanently for a simple 2nd DUI.
If convicted of a 2d DUI you will lose your CDL, possibly not permanently, but it will be most difficult to ever get it back.
    No, not permanently, but you can get a lengthy suspension. You should contact an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your case. Call me at 818-336-1386 if you would like a free consultation to discuss further. Note that you only have 10 days from your arrest.to request a DMV hearing to fight an initial license suspension.
    Healan Law Offices
    Healan Law Offices | William D. Healan, III
    Yes, if you get convicted.
    The answer depends on when you received the first DUI. If it was prior to 2005 you should be ok, otherwise you likely to face a lifetime ban.
    Douglas M. Philpott, P.C. | Peter J. Philpott
    Not permanently, however a suspension is likely, along with your regular DL.
    Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
    The penalty for a 2nd DUI is 1 year revocation, immobilization of the vehicle and plate confiscation.
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    Not only will you lose your CDL, you will lose your driver's license for at least 5 years. There would be no restricted driving privileges.
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
    Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
    Yes you will lose the CDL.
    It's possible, within the discretion of the judge in sentencing. When charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a test, search or confession be used against you, can you be convicted, and what can you do? Raise all appropriate defenses with whatever witnesses, evidence and sympathies are available for legal arguments, for evidence suppression or other motions, or for trial. If you don't know how to represent yourself effectively against an experienced prosecutor intending to convict, then hire an attorney who does, who will try to get a dismissal, charge reduction, diversion, program, or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate. A little free advice: When arrested for DUI, whether alcohol or drugs, then upon release from jail or booking the defendant is given documents that include a notice that you have only ten days to file a request with DMV for a hearing on an appeal of the automatic suspension of your license imposed by DMV upon your arrest. That is separate and runs consecutively with any suspension that may be imposed by the DMV, or the court upon conviction. Contact DMV and do so, timely, then appear at your scheduled DMV appeal hearing and present any supporting evidence and testimony. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    No. 90 days to 2 years.
    That is a question to direct to the Secretary of State. They could tell you.
    THE LOCKHART LAW FIRM | CLAYTON LOCKHART
    The penalties for a CDL are generally more strict for a DUI than for a regular DL. I would say that you will most definitely have an extended period of suspension for you CDL and may have to jump through a lot of hoops in order to get your driving privileges reinstated.
    Yes. I am surprised that you did not loose it on your first DUI conviction.
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law | Mark Thiessen
    I believe it is for 10 years and you may reapply for CDL after 5 years. I do not think it is a total ban. But I am unsure and would need to conduct more research.
    Germaine & Blaszka, P.A.
    Germaine & Blaszka, P.A. | Donald L. Blaszka, Jr.
    Yes you will lose your CDL permanently if you are convicted of a 2nd DUI/DWI.
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    No but you will have it suspended for at least 1 year. I am assuming this was not a felony DUI with alcohol.
    No, you will get a 2 year suspension if convicted of DUI in court. A separate DMV hearing can also suspend your license for 1 year, which may run concurrently with the court suspension. You have only 10 days to request a DMV hearing to prevent this. You should consult a DUI specialist, because even a slight reduction of charge could mean no suspension at all.
    Ellman and Ellman PC
    Ellman and Ellman PC | Kevin Ellmann
    Unless you have a damn good lawyer, likely yes. Good luck!
    Abom & Kutulakis, L.L.P,.
    Abom & Kutulakis, L.L.P,. | Jason P. Kutulakis
    Depends. However, you should consult and retain an attorney to identify possible alternatives.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney