If I have been paying 25% of my pay on a writ of garnishment, when I file my taxes will I be able to receive any tax credit? 7 Answers as of March 07, 2017

I have been paying 25% of my pay on a writ of garnishment since July 01, 2016. The garnishment is not an IRS or state, it will take one year and half to pay it. Also, can I file bankruptcy and get it reversed or stopped.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
You can file bankruptcy to stop it. Whether it is tax deductible depends on the nature of the debt being garnished.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 3/7/2017
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
Garnishments are not tax deductible, so paying a garnishment will not reduce your taxes. Filing bankruptcy will eliminate the garnishment.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 3/6/2017
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
You did not provide the type of information needed to answer your tax question. If you file bankruptcy, it would stop the wage garnishment. But there are a lot of other issues that need to be addressed before I can say I would recommend bankruptcy or that this is the kind of debt that bankruptcy can eliminate.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 3/3/2017
Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
There is no deduction. Most likely a BK will stop the garnishment.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/3/2017
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
It is not tax deductible. Bankruptcy can stop it as long as it isn't for something like criminal restitution or fraud. Consult with local counsel.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/3/2017
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    You should talk to an attorney about the tax credit and a refund. It's not obvious how you would get a tax credit without more information, but you can recover garnishments up to a certain amount after filing bankruptcy, and you can certainly stop the bleeding.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 3/3/2017
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    Generally,. filing a bankruptcy petition stops garnishments. (although to be certain, you'll need to have your lawyer contact your payroll office, the small claims court and the creditor) If the garnishment is for a general debt, you don't get any tax benefit from it. If it is for tax-deductible maintenance (spousal support), it is income to the spouse and deductible to you. Child support is not deductible.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 3/3/2017
Click to View More Answers: