If I have been paying 25% of my pay on a writ of garnishment, when I file my taxes will I be able to receive any tax credit? 7 Answers as of March 07, 2017

I have been paying 25% of my pay on a writ of garnishment since July 01, 2016. The garnishment is not an IRS or state, it will take one year and half to pay it. Also, can I file bankruptcy and get it reversed or stopped.

You can file bankruptcy to stop it. Whether it is tax deductible depends on the nature of the debt being garnished.
Garnishments are not tax deductible, so paying a garnishment will not reduce your taxes. Filing bankruptcy will eliminate the garnishment.
You did not provide the type of information needed to answer your tax question. If you file bankruptcy, it would stop the wage garnishment. But there are a lot of other issues that need to be addressed before I can say I would recommend bankruptcy or that this is the kind of debt that bankruptcy can eliminate.
There is no deduction. Most likely a BK will stop the garnishment.
It is not tax deductible. Bankruptcy can stop it as long as it isn't for something like criminal restitution or fraud. Consult with local counsel.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    You should talk to an attorney about the tax credit and a refund. It's not obvious how you would get a tax credit without more information, but you can recover garnishments up to a certain amount after filing bankruptcy, and you can certainly stop the bleeding.
    Generally,. filing a bankruptcy petition stops garnishments. (although to be certain, you'll need to have your lawyer contact your payroll office, the small claims court and the creditor) If the garnishment is for a general debt, you don't get any tax benefit from it. If it is for tax-deductible maintenance (spousal support), it is income to the spouse and deductible to you. Child support is not deductible.