If I got a public intoxication arrest, and no conviction was made, does that affect my F-1 Visa renewal? 8 Answers as of December 19, 2012

I am renewing my F-1 Visa, but unfortunately, I got an arrest for public intoxication. No conviction was made though.

Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
F-1 visas are not subject to renewal. Generally, F-1 visas are given for "duration of status", meaning that your status remains valid so long as you remain enrolled full-time at an accredited school. If your arrest did not result in a conviction, it means that the charges were dismissed - or the case was adjourned in contemplation of dismissal. Whichever it was in your case, go to the police precinct where you were arrested and ask what was the disposition; if the case was sent to court, you should go to the court and request a certificate of disposition. Don't volunteer the information about your arrest and its outcome, but if the USCIS or a consular officer ask about it, tell the truth and have the papers ready.
If there are no convictions, you should be alright. However, I suggest that you contact an experienced immigration attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your arrest. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
SwagatUSA, LLC
SwagatUSA, LLC | Dhenu Savla
Yes it can have an affect and will need to be disclosed. You should contact an immigration attorney, either myself or a colleague, about mitigating the effect.
Ben T. Liu Law Office
Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
This should not affect your visa.
The Law Office Kevin L. Dixler
The Law Office Kevin L. Dixler | Kevin Lawrence Dixler
If you must renew your visa, then you are required to disclose all arrests. This is not an extremely serious conviction, but you can be denied if you do not disclose the arrest that may make you inadmissible. The consular official can indefinitely ban you from ever getting a visa, again, if you are caught lying. If you need further assistance, then I strongly recommend a teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration and visas attorney.