If I got my first DUI as a minor years ago, then recently just got arrested for a second DUI, what should I expect? 7 Answers as of September 05, 2013

26 year old male, also driving without a license.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Thomas C. Phipps | Thomas C Phipps
If the DWIs are more than 10 years apart, you may get a suspended sentence of imposition and probation. You should hire an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 9/5/2013
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
Since you are 26 it is likely that the 1st DUI was less than 10 years ago, making this a 2nd offense. Even if it were 10 years ago, it would still be a 2nd offense for purpose of the RMV but the court could treat it as a 1st offense. For a 1st offense DUI the penalty ranges from a 45 day loss of license and 1 year of probation (statutory minimum) to 2.5 years incarcerated (highly unlikely). For a 2nd offense DUI the penalty is up to 2.5 years in the house of corrections (HOC). If you have a lawyer, the lawyer should be able to negotiate a 2 week in-patient program in lieu of jail time and 2 years of probation. You should speak to a lawyer. There are too many variables to give you a decent expectation in your particular situation. The above applies to MA charges only.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/22/2013
Giannini Law Office, PC
Giannini Law Office, PC | Robert Giannini
In Georgia, even if the first offense was a juvenile offense it will still most likely appear on your driver's history, so the attorney assigned to prosecute you in the new case will likely know about it. Thus, it will be treated as a 2nd DUI in 10 years. How much jail time you will get if you plead guilty depends a lot on which court your case goes to. You could face from a few days to a couple of months. Plus some combination of probation, loss of license, fines, fees, DUI school, alcohol treatment, and maybe an ignition interlock device on your car. You really should try to find a good lawyer who practices DUI defense.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/21/2013
Law Offices of Laurie A. Schmidt, P.C. | Laurie Schmidt
In Colorado, expect jail time, loss of license, alcohol treatment, classes, and therapies, community service, fines, fees, probation, and sobriety terms (meaning you cannot drink), and for this to be on your permanent record. If you do not accept or agree to do everything required of you- hire a local DUI attorney to fight the case for you.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 8/20/2013
Hudson Bair | Hudson Bair
Hard to say, your answer will depend on whether you were convicted of DUI in the earlier case, was it juvenile or not,.why was your license suspended. Your answer will depend on these underlying issues.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/20/2013
    Anderson Law Office
    Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
    In Minnesota if your offenses are within ten years of each other you will be charged with a gross misdemeanor offense punishable by a max of 1 year in jail and/or a $3000 fine. You should get an attorney asap.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 8/20/2013
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    Because you did not have a valid license, your case might be prosecuted as a felony. Even as a misdemeanor, you are looking at a license revocation if found guilty.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 8/20/2013
Click to View More Answers:

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!