If I got a misdemeanor can I get it expunged? 6 Answers as of March 24, 2011

If I got a misdemeanor in Michigan can I get it expunged? The charge was for theft. What will this cost me, if it is possible?

Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
Yes, and it will cost $750.00. These are things that a lawyer should handle for you. Call me if you would like more information or to answer additional questions.
In Michigan, you can get your record expunged if you only have one charge one your record and that charge is neither a potential life offense or a CSC crime. What you described would fall into that category. If you do the expungement on your own, it will probably cost approximately $150 or so. Maybe a little more. If you hire an attorney, it will probably cost $1,000 to $1,500. Best of everything.
The Law Office of John T. MacDonald Jr., PLLC
The Law Office of John T. MacDonald Jr., PLLC | John MacDonald Jr.
It depends.You may apply to have a conviction set aside for any crime except: (1) a conviction of a felony or an attempted felony punishable by life imprisonment; (2) a violation or attempted violation of criminal sexual conduct under MCL 750.520c, MCL 750.520d, or MCL 750.520g; or (3) a traffic offense. If you have had more than one conviction for any offense you cannot apply. You may have only one conviction set aside. A person may apply to have a conviction set aside when five (5) years have passed since the date he or she was sentenced for the conviction, as long as he or she was not imprisoned. If the person was imprisoned, he or she may apply to have the conviction set aside when five (5) years have passed since being released from the term of imprisonment for that conviction. It is best to consult an attorney to get the specifics. If there is any other way I can be of assistance please let me know.
You can obtain an expungment.
Assuming only one conviction of anything, ever, the statute allows one to move to set aside the conviction. That is a fairly complex process, but I have always been successful. Theft would be eligible. Click on the link to the left to call me to discuss.
    Nichols Law Firm
    Nichols Law Firm | Michael J. Nichols
    Yes. Setting aside a criminal conviction is something you can do if it is the only conviction, is not for a crime that would make you ineligible and it's been 5 years since you were sentenced. You can attempt to do this yourself or call an attorney. The fees will vary.