If I got a letter saying show up to court as soon as possible to be arraigned on criminal charges, but now I have double charges, what will I do? 2 Answers as of March 16, 2017

I got a letter saying show up to court as soon as possible to be arraigned on criminal charges because a police department has a valid warrant for my arrest. The only thing is that when I came to court on the very date I was supposed to no criminal charges were mentioned. They took my bond for my traffic warrant and sent me on my way. November 6 months later they want to charge me with new charges? I am aware that they can charge me I guess whenever they feel. But now they have added new charges. What's going on here? I'm supposed to walk into court with a letter? Aren't they just able to lock me up on the spot? Who would do that? I showed up to court, it's not my fault they didn't bring up these charges. They just decide whenever they feel to put a warrant and i didn't know for a week?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
James Sterling Lawrence, Attorney at Law | James Sterling Lawrence
You should show up for court as soon as you can. Best time is morning, Monday through Thursday. People who walk in normally get better treatment than those who have to be dragged in. If you walk in you might get an arraignment quickly, with your bond being set at that time. Because you would be coming in, the judge might find that you can be trusted to come back, and then give you a personal bond (no money required now). You are right that you should have been informed of the criminal charge when you posted the bond on the traffic warrant, but that is not a defense to the crime, and does not require the case to be dismissed. They have 2 years after the alleged offense to charge a person with a misdemeanor.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/16/2017
Klisz Law Office, PLLC
Klisz Law Office, PLLC | Timothy J. Klisz
Your best move is to hire an attorney first before going into court.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/14/2017
Click to View More Answers: