If I got hurt in a grocery store in Oregon, can I sue if I did not take immediate action? 2 Answers as of December 17, 2010

I was shopping last week at a local grocery store, and I slipped and fell. When I looked around, I saw that one of the freezers in the store had been dripping, and it caused a puddle, but no sign had been put up. When I tried to stand, I realized I hurt my knee. The manager apologized, and gave me a gift card. Now, my knee is really swollen, and not going to get better without a doctor to help me. Can I still make them pay for my care by suing?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Harris Law Firm
Harris Law Firm | Paul Vames
Yes. First, seek competent medical care for your injury. Next, return to the store and place the manager on written notice of your injury and request that all records, including security video and sweep logs, be maintained. Do not answer any detailed questions regarding the incident
or your injury until you've spoken with a lawyer. This should be done as soon as possible. Premises liability cases are tough and it is very unlikely that you'll be able to obtain a settlement on your own. Retail stores are notorious for doing everything possible to avoid responsibility for these types of incidents.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 12/17/2010
Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC
Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC | Travis Prestwich
Yes. These types of cases are referred to as premises liability cases, most of which fall under the category of "slip-and-fall" or "trip-and-fall." The strength of your case would depend on various factors which you would need to discuss with an attorney. Most businesses turn these matters over to insurance, but some grocery stores, for example, do not carry insurance coverage for these sorts of things. It would be wise to speak to an attorney specializing in personal injury as soon as possible.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 12/17/2010
Click to View More Answers: