If I got a DWI 8 months ago and haven't gotten any paperwork, what should I do? 10 Answers as of August 26, 2013

I was 16 when it happened on New Years of 2013 and I just turned 17 on August 6th, yesterday

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Thomas C. Phipps | Thomas C Phipps
You can call the clerk's office at the courthouse or you can hire an attorney to check on it for you.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 8/26/2013
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman | Ezra Goldman
Don't do anything. I have had cases where the court lost the file and a DUI was never heard of again.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/15/2013
Law Office of Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
Check with the clerk at the criminal courts building. Bring ID, they'll let you know if you have a case pending. If they didn't give you a date to appear, if they're going to file charges, you'd get notice in the mail.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/15/2013
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
Let sleeping dogs lie.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/15/2013
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
You should have a lawyer check to make sure that you have no outstanding warrant that you are unaware of and if that is clean, forget about it unless you hear otherwise. You should have a lawyer check on the warrant instead of trying to do it yourself since you do not want to inadvertently initiate something that wouldn't otherwise happen. Also, you should make sure that the RMV and the Post Office have your correct mailing address. It is our legal obligation to make sure the RMV has current address and you want the post office to be accurate to make sure you don't miss a mailing. If there are no outstanding warrants, then forget and see what, if anything, happens.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/15/2013
    Attorney at Law
    Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
    What paperwork are you looking for? You were probably given a citation for a date to appear and probably missed the date, generating a bench warrant. If so, you need to put it on calendar and get it cleared. I generally do not advise calling the DA to see if something has been filed, because it might spark a filing that was not otherwise in the works.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/15/2013
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    You might go to DMV and see if you DL is still valid, just ask for a drivers record (should be free). This will help you know whether you can drive or if you need to reinstate and how you can also contact the county court where the arrest was made. Call the main clerk and ask if there is a case with your name and if there is a warrant you should have received paperwork the night of the arrest (ticket, notice of revocation) but sometimes they do not do this.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 8/15/2013
    Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
    I would recommend going to the clerk of court office in the county where this happened. Ask to review the clerks file, in Florida this is a public record. As you indicate you were a juvenile when the event occurred this can take longer to process but eight months is way out of line.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 8/15/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Probably nothing.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/15/2013
    Catchick Law, PC
    Catchick Law, PC | Matt Catchick
    The Court will issue your Notice to Appear to whatever address you have on record with the Secretary of State, so if that is not your current mailing address, you may have never received the Notice to Appear. You should have an attorney call the applicable police station on your behalf to see if any formal charges have been issued, and to confirm there is no warrant out for your arrest.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 8/15/2013
Click to View More Answers:

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!