If I get a ticket for having marijuana on me and got my card, does it mean I still have to pay my fine? 9 Answers as of June 23, 2014

My brother and his friend and I were going to a gas station where I live and some cop decided to pass us and wait at the corner. There he told us to sit down, asked for our names then asked about gangs and shit which pissed me off. Not every Latino is a gang member. So they searched me, found the weed and got my card. Now do I still have to pay my fine?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Did you get the card before or after you got arrested? If after then you have to pay it. If before then you have to go to court and prove it.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/23/2014
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
You swore twice in your question. Not every Latino is a gang member but if you talk like that what do you think people will think of you? The police will continue to pull over every Black, Hispanic, Latino, biker, hippie, and yes, even young white men because that is who they expect to either have drugs, weapons, traffic tickets that are unpaid, no insurance, warrants, or just to see what they are up to. That is because every day for 20 years they have arrested young men for crimes and not older people, women, or businessmen. If you want to avoid being pulled over or having to endure a stop and frisk them act like and dress like a businessman. The police will always profile people and harass young men (of every race) so all you can do is ti be clean and polite and not get them upset by your behavior. Also, try not to swear at them. You should get a lawyer to have it dismissed. Your "card" I assume is a green card which will be returned to you after the case is over or after arraignment. You cannot change the world, you can only change yourself.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/17/2014
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
What card? Your get out of jail free card. Your I can possess marijuana in any quantity card? What are you talking about?
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/17/2014
Thomas SanFilippo & Associates, LLC | Thomas SanFilippo
Yes. You should speak with an attorney or the marijuana charge will remain on your record.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 6/17/2014
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
What card? In any event of course you must pay your fine unless you contest the charges against you.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/17/2014
    Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
    Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
    I would need a little more information to fully answer your question. Particularly, were you in a vehicle or walking? If you were walking, you probably should not have been given a ticket. If you were in a motor vehicle however, you must abide by a new law from 2012 which states basically that the marijuana must be essentially out of usable reach while the vehicle is in operation. This typically means in a sealed container, out of arms reach, and to be safe, actually in your trunk. Depending on the amount of the fine, you would either want to seek a free consultation with an experienced attorney in your area and determine if you can fight this yourself, or, if the fine is small, it may be less of a headache to just pay the fine.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/17/2014
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    Yes, at the time of your citation you broke the law. You might try arguing with the prosecutor to see if he will dismiss the charge.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 6/17/2014
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Yes, unless you showed the officer your card.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 6/17/2014
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    With the card, they should not issue the ticket at all. If over 21, then it is not illegal without the card. You will probably have to go to court, show the DA the card and then they might dismiss. Sometimes, you have to get a lawyer to make the argument for you. I have done this in the last year. You can possess, but not openly. So long as it is in your pocket, you should be fine. But, if the cop is saying that he saw you using/displaying in public, then you may have to fight it. I think this is harassment, especially if you are over 21 and did not openly use/display. In the right case, the cop should be sued. As a Board Member of Colorado NORML, I am interested in this case. Please contact me if they do not dismiss at the first court appearance. Are you over 21? Is your card current? I am sorry you got treated this way - I would love to cause this cop some trouble.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 6/17/2014
Click to View More Answers: