If I get a restraining order in California will I have to go to court on my own? 12 Answers as of December 13, 2010

If I get a restraining order in California will I have to go to court on my own? Could a lawyer do this for me? I am scared to go to court on my own in front of a judge.

If you mean that someone has filed a request for restraining order against you, then you should take it seriously, since the consequence of an RO is similar to having a felony conviction on your record as far as most employers are concerned. Defending against one is not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself. If serious about doing so, feel free to contact me. I will be happy to help you use whatever defenses you may have.
Unless you are specifically ordered to appear you do not have to go at all but the order will entered against you by default. You will then need to be served with it in order for it later to be proved that you had knowledge of it. It is probably best if someone went to the court appearance. You can go on your own or hire an attorney to go with you. Of course, there is no
guarantee he or she will be able to prevent the order from being issued and you will have to pay for his or her time anyway.
Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law
Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law | Alanna D. Coopersmith
Either way. You can hire a lawyer to go to court with you.
No matter what if you are frightened to go to court alone you should definitely go with a lawyer.
You may be represented by an attorney.
    Steven Mandell
    Steven Mandell | Law Offices of Steven Mandell
    Of course a lawyer can do this for you. That is what we do. We are not scared in front of judges. If you would like to discuss this with me, please don't hesitate to call for a free consultation.
    Wise Law Group
    Wise Law Group | Michael J. Wise, Esq
    You do not need to go to court. You can have a lawyer present with you in court.
    Yes, a lawyer can file the temporary restraining order on your behalf, have the other party served, and make the initial appearance in court to get that going. There would then be a seperate hearing for a longer restraining order, and the attorney can be present with you in court to handle that as well. Contact me if you would like to discuss this further as I have handled these before.
    Robert Mortland
    Robert Mortland | Law Office of Robert Mortland
    You can always get the help of a lawyer. However, you should be in court yourself as well. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any more specific questions.
    Yes, a lawyer can go on your behalf. Aka "Power of Attorney."