If I get married, will my new husband be responsible for my debt? 11 Answers as of September 15, 2015

If I get married, will my new husband be responsible for my debt?

Stacy Joel Safion, Esq.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq. | Stacy Joel Safion
Unless it is for the necessaries of life after you marry, no.
Most attorneys will tell you NO, but that is not 100% of the story. If you do not pay this debt, the creditor can sue you. Then the creditor can attach any property not protected by state laws called exemptions, which may include joint bank accounts, real estate you own together, or even a car you have together. So in this sense, your new husband could become responsible for your debt. And if he really loves you, he will at least FEEL responsible for this debt.
Nope, in order to be responsible for a person's premarital debt, he would have to sign for it.
Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
Potentially. All income and assets you accumulate during marriage are community property which is subject to seizure by creditors. However, he is not individually liable, meaning he cannot be sued individually for payment of the debt and it does not show up on his credit report.
No. Be careful sharing a bank account.