If I get married what do I need to get my husband a green card? 2 Answers as of April 12, 2011

I want to get married in Iran, but my future husband doesnt have a green card. I have a green card, want to live in the US and start my life with him. What do I need so that he can have a green card too?

You need to be a U.S. citizen in order for you to file a K-3 spouse visa for your husband.
You can file an I-130 petition for him once you are married. He will not be able to file for his Green Card for about 5 to 7 years since you are Green Card holder. However, once you become a U.S. Citizen his petition can be upgraded and he would be able to file for an immigrant visa to come to the U.S. several months after the petition is ungraded. If you are eligible to file for Naturalization to become a U.S. Citizen it takes about six months to become a citizen.