If I get married in Mexico will it be acknowledged in the US? 15 Answers as of February 06, 2012

My boyfriend is in Mexico and I am a US citizen. My boyfriend and I are thinking about getting married in Mexico because we have been together for about 4 years an he is having trouble coming back to the US. My question is if I go to Mexico and we get married will it be acknowledged in the US and will he be able to come to the US and how long after we are married can he come to back to the US? He has no immigration problems and has never been deported.

Yes it will be recognized in the US and most everywhere in the world. If everything is done properly and assuming that he has no immigration violation of any kind or any other criminal history, this can take less than a couple of years. In fact I believe a lot less than that but I am overshooting for comfort.
Law Offices of Kiran Nair
Law Offices of Kiran Nair | Kiran K. Nair
As long as the way you get married in Mexico is recognized in Mexico; it will also be recognized in the U.S.
As long as it is a legal marriage under Mexican law it will be recognized in the U.S. Feel free to contact me as indicated below and we can go over the procedures and fees and timing for you to bring him to the U.S. as an immigrant. The process will take 7-12 months and you may want to retain us before you go down there so we can prepare the forms that he will need to sign for you to bring with you get his signature and return back to me.
Wildes & Weinberg, P.C. | Leon Wildes
The Mexican marriage will be recognized and the processing time is about a year or so.
If you marry your boyfriend in Mexico, you will be able to petition for him to receive an immigrant visa. The U.S. will recognize the marriage so long as it was lawful in the place where it occurred. However, he cannot automatically come to the United States. He will need you to petition for him to receive an immigrant visa. The process takes about 8 months to a year to complete. If approved, your husband would be allowed to enter the U.S. as an immigrant and would receive a green card shortly after his entry.
    The better option is to come and bring him here with a fiancee visa. I will be glad to help. If you marry within 90 days of him arriving in the U.S., you can apply for the marriage-based permanent residence visa, while still living here.
    Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A PC
    Law Offices of Brian D. Lerner, A PC | Brian David Lerner
    Yes, if it is legal. Consulate Processing Consulate Processing must be completed. This allows the petition to first be sent to the National Visa Center, and then the appropriate documents and package to go to the U.S. Consulate or Embassy. If done correctly, you will be able to enter as a Lawful Permanent Resident and will be in the U.S. in less than one year. Of course the time might be a bit less or more depending on the backlog of the U.S. Consulate or Embassy and whether or not a Waiver of Inadmissibility is needed.
    Ayodele M. Ojo & Associates
    Ayodele M. Ojo & Associates | Ayodele Mayowa Ojo
    Yes, the marraige will be recognized
    Kanu & Associates, P. C. | Solomon O. Kanu
    Yes A marriage in Mexico is the same here.
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
    Yes it will be regconized. But my honest advice to you is that you should file a K fiance visa for him. Once he's in the US on the K visa, you will have 90 days to get married and commence the adjustment of status process for him. It will be much easier this way. You could get married in Mexico and start the adjustment process over there but it will be harder and will take longer.
    Yes, the marriage is recognized by the US.
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    A legal marriage in Mexico will be recognized in the U.S. It will take approximately 6 to 8 months for your spouse to immigrate if he does have any prior immigration law violations or a criminal record.
    Yes, a marriage that is entered into in accordance with the laws of that country are given full faith and credit in the US. Once you are legally married, in Mexico, you can petition for your husband's permanent residence on the basis of marriage to a US citizen.
    Law Offices Of Steve Paek
    Law Offices Of Steve Paek | Steve S Paek
    Yes it will. The processing time for visas vary due to USCIS and consular backlogs, but if all is done correctly he may be able to enter within a year.
    Baughman & Wang
    Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
    Marriage registered in another country will generally ?be recognized in the US. ?If he does not have any immigration issue, you can file I-130 visa petition and then do the visa processing. ?It may take about 8-10 months for him to receive immigrant visa and come to the US.