If I get fired or resign for health issues will I be able to get unemployment? 9 Answers as of November 13, 2013

I have been on my job for 12 years and never a problem with my attendance until now. I have been sick in the past 3 months. I stand up all day long working. My ankles are swelling causing me not to walk and have medical problem. I have been wrote up for my attendance with a doctor note. I have been to like 4 doctors. Wants to see what is wrong with me.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
If you are terminated you would be eligible. If you resign, probably not. Ask for an accommodation under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA).
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 11/13/2013
If your injuries and condition is work-related, you need to file a claim for worker's compensation benefits that cover temporary disability benefits , ongoing medical treatment and a settlement for permanent disability and future medical care.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/13/2013
Adams, Liming & Hockenberry, LLC
Adams, Liming & Hockenberry, LLC | Sharon Cason-Adams
If you work for an employer with 50 or more employees you are probably entitled to Family Medical Leave under the FMLA. Ask your employer for an application for FMLA. You will need to obtain a doctor's certification. You should be requesting intermittent leave to cover you when you have to miss work. If you are fired for these issues, you may have a claim against your employer and you should be entitled to unemployment compensation.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 11/13/2013
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
It depends. If you have a disability, most times employers have to accommodate you.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/13/2013
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
So does your employer have more than 50 employees? If so, you may be eligible for ADA relief, i.e. the employer may have to get you a stool and something to prop your legs on. You may also be eligible for FMLA for some time off to recover. Talk with HR.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 11/13/2013
    Law Offices of Linda Rose Fessler | Linda Fessler
    I would apply first for Workman's Compensation.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    Law Office of Jack Longert, LLC | Jack Longert
    The issue is as much the work you are still able to do, you have to be able and available to work as well as not be able to work at your current job. Getting fired is probably a better way to get unemployment.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    To collect unemployment in GA, you must: 1) Go see a doctor 2) Get a doctors note with your limitations clearly stated 3) Present this doctors note to your employer and ask for accommodations If the employer is unable or unwilling to accommodate you, you should be eligible for unemployment. However, if the doctor's limitations are such that you can not work anywhere, you will not be eligible for unemployment, since you must be able and available to work full time without unreasonable restrictions. If you are able to work some where, but not at your old job, then you should be eligible in GA.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
    You may want to contact a worker's compensation attorney. The State will decide if you are eligible for unemployment.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 11/11/2013
Click to View More Answers: