If I get divorced and have only been a stay at home mom, will I get custody? 1 Answers as of February 03, 2017

I want to leave my abusive marriage. However, I'm scared. I'll lose custody of my son to my husband because I've been a stay at home mom his entire life. This would not be in my son's best interest at all. My husband did not want or support me working.

Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
Each parent has an equal right to have time with a child. Who gets more or less time is determined by a long list of criteria including who did most of the care taking. If your husband is found to have been abusive (you should not hesitate to get a domestic violence protection order if there has been violence as defined by the law to you or the child, this will at least initially, limit his contact. Neither parent loses custody. The question is how much time does each parent get and who gets to make decisions about the child in major areas such as education. You will have to get a job, but will likely get alimony for some period of time until you can get on your feet. You should seek the advice of counsel since there are many issues at stake in your case.